There are currently 23 houses and locations that are on Ewing Township's Historic Registry. Each of these locations have their own unique history of purpose and original features of earlier building styles. They have been lovingly restored over the years by their various owners and now are protected for future generations to appreciate. Below are some more complete descriptions of these buildings.
(Photo descriptions begin below the photo array on the left.)
Photo #5 in the Photo Gallery -
The Reading-Knight Farmhouse was built by William E. Green circa 1800 and was originally called Cherry Grove. Upon his death his wife remarried a man named Pierson Reading, and the house was resold to the Knight family who farmed it until 1911. In its final transformation, it became the State of New Jersey Hog Farm. Although no longer managed by the state, it is significant as a surviving farm in a mostly suburban development. The two-story home is the most high style Federal style architecture surviving in Ewing Township with its simple brick façade and a semi-circular fanlight over the elegant door. Inside the house are several carved fireplace surrounds, original stair rails, moldings, doors, hardware, and an old iron sink.
Photo #6 in the Photo Gallery -
The Wilmot House is a charming example of 19th century vernacular architecture. The house is located on the original Birmingham Road, today know as Wilburtha Road, leading from Green's Ferry to the hamlet of Birmingham. The house is a two story, two bay, squarish clapboard house. The western section of the house, delineated by the gable roof, dates to the early 1800s.
Photo #7 in the Photo Gallery -
Grandson of Stephen Lanning, one of Ewing’s earliest settlers, Nathaniel Lanning built this house circa 1812 on the original Rogers Park Road leading from Trenton to Pennington (now Route 31). The original structure was expanded in the mid 1800s, and the farm was also occupied by the Lanning family through the end of the century. It appears it was occupied by tenant farmers until it was sold in 1940.
Photo # 8 in the Photo Gallery -
The Scudder-Reeder House is a large stuccoed stone house adjacent to the Delaware and Raritan Feeder Canal, an area of much commercial activity during the mid-nineteenth century. It was built by Daniel Scudder around 1780, enlarged by Amos Reeder in the mid-nineteenth century, and later sold to Alexander B. Green, a lumber and coal merchant, at the end of the century. The original house, a modest side hall plan built of rough cut rubble stone, still remains, integrated within several significant renovations.
Photo #9 in the Photo Gallery -
The Fish-Howell House is located on what used to be called Old River Road and part of the Altura development in West Trenton. Home ownership has been traced back to circa 1831 when the original owners of the house were Israel Fish and William Howell. Other prominent local families who owned the house in later years were the Chambers, Moore, and Thackeray (Thackray) families.
Photo #10 in the Photo Gallery -
The Spafford Bergen House was built by Spafford Bergen circa 1890 during the time that Ewingville was changing from a farming community to a crossroads village. The house has plaster cast crown moldings, ornamental slate fireplace mantles and acid etched entry door illustrating Bergen’s transition from a farmer to a businessman. In 1889 he and some other businessmen founded the Trenton Bone Fertilizer company.
Considered in the style of a Queen Anne cottage, the design probably came from an architectural pattern book of the time. The original wrap around porch that wraps around on three sides was recently restored by the present owner. All but one of the seven fireplaces is original.
Photo #11 in the Photo Gallery -
The Ewingville Schoolhouse was built in 1896 to replace an earlier one-room frame schoolhouse. The school served Ewing children grades 1-7 from the areas around Bull Run Road, Pennington Road, Eggerts Crossing Road, Carlton Road, and the present day Lanning School district. The school was closed in 1914 when the larger Lanning School on Pennington Road was built. At that time it was converted to a private residence and sold. As a private residence there have been modifications to the original design. The Ewingville School is the last remaining one room schoolhouse in Ewing Township.
Photo #12 in the Photo Gallery -
The West Trenton Train Station is a good example of the Georgian Revival Style and consists of a central two-story brick center section with a hipped slate roof and symmetrical one story wings at both ends. Its main ridge parallels the railroad track. The station has served as a terminus for one of the commuter branches of the Reading system. Currently SEPTA trains connect the Ewing station to Philadelphia.
Photo #13 in the Photo Gallery -
This structure (New Jersey State Police Log Cabin) was built in 1934 by the Civilian Works Administration during Franklin Roosevelt’s presidency. The edifice is done in the typical American Midland folk building style (a log cabin) and shows a strong similarity to western military outposts constructed during the Indian Wars of the 1870s and 1880s. The single story cabin measures 44 by 88 feet and has a gable roof which extends to form porches on both gable side walls. The original use for this structure was dormitory space and as an exhibit area for demonstrations such as pistol shooting and close drills. Today the log cabin serves as an annex of the New Jersey State Police Museum Complex.
Photo #14 in the Photo Gallery -
The Trenton Bath House was a pivotal work of Louis I. Kahn, its famous designer and architect. His inspiration came from his visit to ancient Roman and Greek ruins. The 1955 Bath House is arranged in the form of a Byzantine cross plan with pyramid-shaped roofs over four pavilion-like square bathhouses around a center atrium. Kahn's plan was to harness natural light as well as the natural flow of air to create a building that did not require electric lights or fans to circulate the air. It is one of only about a dozen of his major buildings that still exist today.
Built by the Jewish Community Center, the complex was used for more more than fifty years then purchased by Mercer County and Ewing Township. After restoration in 2010, this special architectural building now functions as the bath house for the Ewing Community Center.